2019-2020 Academic Year - Due Date: February 28, 2020
The Race to End the Stigma Scholarship was created by the Carlos Vieira Foundation to start the conversation about mental health. The Race to End the Stigma Scholarship is granted annually to graduating high school seniors who are interested in mental health awareness or who are willing to share their story about mental health in an effort to end the stigma. Please review the following eligibility criteria before completing the application. If selected, the scholarship recipient will be asked to give a testimonial.
• Be a graduating senior in good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA
• Be graduating from a high school in the Merced Union High School District
• Seek enrollment in a postsecondary degree program at a two or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school
Submission Instructions: (Students may submit their application by one of the listed methods)
• Complete the application on our website, carlosvieirafoundation.org/scholarship.
• Complete the printed application and email to email@example.com with supporting documentation.
• Complete the printed application and turn it in to your school’s College & Scholarship office with supporting documentation. (BCHS: D-7; LHS: 903 or Counseling Office; GVHS: Library; AHS, ECHS, & MHS: College & Career Center)
All applications must include the following: (Incomplete applications will be disqualified)
• Completed Application Form (Must be typed or completed in blue or black ink, not pencil)
• Unofficial High School transcript
• Completed Activities Record
• Personal essay using ONE of the following prompts (Essays must be 300-500 words, double-spaced):
• Help start the conversation about mental health by telling a story of how you or a loved one has been affected by mental health, whether positive or negative, and how it has affected your life. Some examples can include experiencing or overcoming a mental health issue, improving one’s own mental health, etc.
• Have you ever taken steps towards reducing the stigma surrounding mental health issues? If so, how? Please share your experience.
• Do you plan to major in or seek a career in a subject related to the mental health field? If so, please share your plan, goals, and reasoning.